All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have so numerous scientific developments and new strategies emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the opportunity to minimize or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and pain-free way to correct vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be deceived by expensive advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the medical professional, not the laser. Learn who will in fact do your procedure, then inquire about that physician's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Select a medical professional who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician does not know can hurt you.
4. Ask for info on your physician's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. Discover another one if your physician will not inform you. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what measures are required to avoid infection. Search for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating space. Ensure that additional hints non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute.
Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each patient. Beware of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the eyesight of millions of people all over the world.